Unbundling Social Media
The core functions of social media can be roughly split up into reading, publishing, and discussion. Instead of baking these functions together into giant, monolithic platforms, we should have separate, interchangeable applications for each.
My own projects follow this pattern: Yakread is a reading app, Platypub is a publishing app. My preferred discussion app is Discord.
- You can help unbundle social media
- How to rebuild social media on top of RSS
- How to beat social media's network effects
- How to deal with short-form posts?
- Protocols, Not Platforms: A Technological Approach to Free Speech
- The messy future of social media
- Help me sponsor your newsletter
- We need better tools for online speech